I am currently working as a researcher in Artificial Intelligence at the University of the West of Scotland, where I am actively involved as a Co-Investigator in three different projects: "NG-RPAS" and two EU Horizon 2020 projects (5G-Induce and ARCADIAN-IoT). Besides, I have worked in 5GPPP SELFNET, SmartCranes and S-RPAS. In this last project named as "Smart Unmanned Aerial System for Real-Time Object Detection", we created an Artificial Intelligence-based object recognition drone to help find the missing people in wild environments. In this project, we achieved several challenges such as to spot a person from 150 metres away at real-time speed and executed in a cost-effective smartphone. This is a collaborative project involving Police Scotland, the University of the West of Scotland, the technology multinational Thales and CENSIS. This project was published in BBC News, Reporting Scotland, The Sun and Telecinco among others.
I completed my PhD in Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science in 2021 making significant contributions to the multi-award-winning project with Police Scotland and my work has been published in various journals and conference proceedings. As stated, I am a winner of the THEAwards 2020 in the category of Knowledge Exchange and also of the CeeD Innovation Award 2020. I also completed my BSc Computer Engineering degree at Universidad de Murcia attending the major in Information Technologies (networks and security). Over this period, I researched and developed an End-of-Degree project about Policy Management (IPsec) in SDN environments.
My research interests include Artificial Intelligence with applications in UAVs, video networking, object detection, security, SDN, 5G, mobile developing and IoT.
Project "Smart Unmanned Aerial System for Real-Time Object Detection"
Developed over my PhD thesis.
Internal student in the Depart. of Engineering, Information and Communications.
Developed over my degree dissertation and my PhD.
UWS - Senior Researcher2021 - Present
* Project: H2020 5GPP ARCADIAN-IoT
* Project: H2020 5GPP 5G-Induce
* Project: New-Generation Intelligent Object Detection for Mission-Critical Operations in Harsh and Adversarial Conditions Using Smart Remotely Piloted Aircraft System
UWS - Researcher as PhD Candidate2017 - 2021
* Researcher in CNN-based small Object Recognition algorithms for unstable imagery."
* Project: SmartCrane: Real-time Human Detection System for Safe Crane Operation
* Project: Smart Remotely Piloted Aircraft System for Real-Time Object Detection
* Project: H2020 5GPP SliceNet
UWS - Teaching2018 - 2020
* Supervision of a Master's thesis on tracking filters.
* Guest Lecturer in MSc on Module: "Emerging Topics in Computing" teaching about "Machine Learning-based Drones".
Inforges - Internship as IT SpecialistFeb 2017 - March 2017
* Maintenance of Active Directory, Exchange, IP Telephony, Microsoft Servers.
* Implementation and maintenance of LAN networks.
* Fortigate, Sophos, veeam backup.
PhD at University of the West of Scotland2017 - 2021
* Thesis Title: "Machine learning-based low-pixel object recognition from Unmanned Aerial Vehicles"
* PhD sponsored by National Air Traffic Service (NATS)
Computer Science at University of Murcia2012 - 2017
* With Honors in the End-of-Degree Project.
* With Honors in: Telematic Services, Advanced Telematic Services and Advanced Network Architecture.
* Contributor to the standarisation of IETF RFC: 9061.
* Internal student in the Department of Engineering, Information and Communications: Researching with SDN architectures and IPsec.
English bilingual GCSE and GCESep 2006 - June 2012
Saavedra Fajardo High School